Monday, January 21, 2013

Single Speed Bike Ok? | Beach Bikes

A question I get a lot is "Will a single speed bike be enough for me?"  I always answer this question with these questions, what kind of riding do you want to do and what are your expectations of owning a bicycle. I hate to estimate or generalize but I would say a single speed bike would probably be good for 70% of bike riders.  If someone walks in and says I want to ride my bicycle 40 miles a day and I want to climb lots of hills, I would say no, a single speed is not enough for you.  Then I would recommend something with at least 15 speeds or more.  But if that's not your intention, then you probably could qualify to ride a single gear cruiser.  To really find out if it would be plenty for you, let's take a look at some typical responses to my questions.

"I just want to ride around the neighborhood with my husband and kids."  Boom!!! A cruiser is perfect for you.  Why?  Because with such a simple objective it would make sense to own a simple bike...no gears, no cables, very little to go wrong.  And surely one gear will take you around the neighborhood at an enjoyable pace.  One gear, nice pace equals good times with the family.  One speed can keep your riding at a comfortable eight miles an hour easily, which is a nice, comfortable cruising pace.

"I mainly just want to ride by the beach on the strand."  Obviously this is an easy answer, you qualify for a one speed.  The main reason being, people who ride by the beach ride single speed bikes, I mean if you're riding by the beach you want to enjoy it right?  So is there any point to riding 25mph where the landscape is whipping by at such a pace that it could as well be a desert, corn field, or forest?  If you're riding purpose is to ride by the beach, then why not ride at a pace where it can be enjoyed.  Not too mention single speeds are just destined to be ridden at the beach.

"I want something that will be low maintenance."  This is when I feel most confident telling people a single speed will be perfect.  One speed, one brake, equals simplicity at it's best.  The more you add to your bike, your life or anything the more chance for problems there are.  If you want something you can ride once, leave in the garage then take out again a few weeks later without having to worry about lubing it up, or tuning it up, then a single speed is your answer.  I am for sure an advocate of geared bikes, but definitely when you add gears, derailleur, and hand brakes more upkeep will be required.  A regular tune-up will be needed on geared bikes rather than recommended.  Not something us average riders necessarily want to deal with.

"I mainly want to just ride to work or school but there are a few hills I have to go up."
Ahhh...the question of hills.  Hills are always a fun thing on a bicycle, no matter what, they are strenuous, trying and tiring.  Will having gears help you ride up hills?  The answer is yes, do you need gears, no.  A single speed is just that gear, and generally when you go up a hill you'll want the bike in first gear.  So in essence a single speed will be a gear comparable to the first gear of a bike with speeds.  However, single speed bikes are all geared differently and will ride and feel a little bit different.  Either way I know hills will be a challenge no matter what and having gears isn't going to get you up the hill, the motor is, and that motor is you.

"I want to run errands on my bike, maybe go to the grocery store or the market."  Perfect, a single speed bicycle is perfect!  Why, because single speed bikes are great for accessorizing, adding a basket, back rack, bags, cup holders, and everything else you need to carry everything back with you from the store.  A few questions I always get are, can I put a basket on this bike, can I put a back rack on this bike, can I put a baby seat on this bike?  The answer is yes to all, single speed bikes are usually the most customizable because they are the most simple and there is a big parts after market for cruisers.  So everything you would need you can put on these bikes.

In short, single speed bicycles are a great bike for the recreational rider.  I'm confident in saying that if any of your riding goals or bike owning goals align with the above information then you are a great candidate for a bike with one gear. 

Click here, to see a variety of single speed bikes.


Move Free, Have Fun


Dustin Gyger
Chief Beach Biker
I Ride a sixthreezero
image

No comments: